It is currently suggested that Student Reading Records be kept for at least 3 years after the student has left your schools. E.g. for a Primary School, records of students who were in year 7 in 2013 may be disposed of in 2017. However, it is strongly advised that the reports printed at data entry, and the awards lists sent to you each year by the PRC office, are kept for all years in case queries arise for past students. These could be kept electronically to save space and paper.
Another option is to save all student reading records electronically and discard the paper records each year. Or, get the students to fill out their reading records on the computer and save to a class file, which would save printing them out and help to avoid lost records.
Thank you all for all your hard work and enthusiasm in running the Challenge at your school!
If you have students who have moved to your school from interstate, and have completed the Premier's Reading Challenge in their old school prior to moving to SA, we are more than happy to update our records to include their previous participation.
Please note that we cannot give students retrospective awards, but will award them in the current year according to the number of years completed both interstate and in SA.
As we do not have access to the interstate records, we require the following steps to be undertaken:
1. Students requiring acknowledgement of interstate participation show their school's PRC coordinator the certificates they received interstate.
2. PRC coordinator then contacts the PRC office via email (email@example.com ) and provides the following information
- Student's name
- current year level
- EDID number (this is the long number on EDSAS with a letter on the end.) - DECD schools only
- Date of birth
- which years the student completed the Challenge interstate.
3. PRC staff will then add the student to your school for the previous years, and the student will receive the next award according to how many years they have completed the Challenge overall.
Please note: the Northern Territory does not run a Premier's Reading Challenge.
Please ensure that students' PRC records go with each student to their new school, and that the student and their parents are clear on what level the student is "up to".
To find out what award level a new student at your school is reading for this year, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information for each student so we can ensure we get the correct student's details:
- Full name (including any previous names, alternative names, nicknames)
- Gender (current and previous, if changed)
- Date of birth
- Previous school
- (For DECD sites only) EDSAS ID (long number with a letter on the end, from EDSAS) - please note that this is not the student ID.
Then we can look up the students required and let you know where they are up to in the Challenge, and ensure their records will match up when you enter your data this year.