How do I complete the Challenge?
- Get a Student Reading Record from your school's Premier's Reading Challenge coordinator (ask your teacher), or download one from this website (click here).
- Read 12 books:
- for years Reception to 7, 8 books from the PRC booklist, and 4 of your own choosing (which may or may not be on the PRC booklists);
- For students in Year 7 who have transitioned to high school, they may follow the year 8 & 9 age group requirements of 4 books from the PRC booklists, and 8 of your own choosing;
- for years 8 and 9, 4 books from the PRC booklists, and 8 of your own choosing;
- for years 10 to 12, all 12 books are your own choice.
- You can include the following types of books:
- Audio Books
- class/shared reading - this includes books you read at home with your family, or even books that are read to you by an adult
- Prescribed books that you have to read for school (any subject)
- research for assignments
- books in another language other than English
- Fill out your Student Reading Record as you go, and get an adult (parent/carer, librarian, school teacher,etc) to sign each one to verify that you read the book.
- Hand the form in to your school's PRC Coordinator by the due date - please check this date with your PRC coordinator, as they may elect to make the finishing date earlier to allow all students to get their awards on time.
- Wait for your award!
Key Dates 2020
From 28 January 2020 - Premier's Reading Challenge starts
4 September 2020 - Reading concludes for the 2020 Challenge
3 July - 18 September 2020
Student Reading Records collected
Data entered in schools before 18 September 2020
Before 30 September 2020 - Home education students send Reading Records to the Project Officer
By mid-late November - awards arrive in schools
By the end of November home education awards are posted to the home address
Students awarded certificates and medals at individual school presentations from mid-November
Generally the Premier completes the first visit to a school in his electorate and the Minister also completes a visit to one in his electorate in about the 2nd week in November
55 selected schools with students achieving outstanding results attend the Premier's Reception, in mid-late November, which the Premier and Minister attend